Pages

Friday 29 February 2008

Beast Book 2 Entry

This is my creature design for the Beasts Book Vol. 2 The creature is "Cait Sidhe" from Irish and Scottish folklore, it is a cat fairy and some say collects the souls of recently deceased people. Ive been working on it for the past week and I seem to have looked at this image for a little to long so I'm rather stumped as what to do with it. I am going to complete it but unfortunately I wont be submitting it for the March 1st deadline. Shame really because it would be a great opportunity and you'd never know unless you try but I made the mistake of looking too long at the submissions posted on the blog and the ideas in my head got all fuzzy, I didn't want to rush it for the deadline and not be 100% happy with it.
Who knows MAYBE they will make a Beasts Book Vol.3, if so I will be submitting my work extra extra early instead of super last minute.
This first image if the original idea I had, the cat doesn't look that sinister as I'd have liked and the little ginger tom doesn't really have a place being there really, but I do like the speak bubbles.. but then again I would say that as I put them in everything ^_^

This is the revised image, it still needs a lot of tweaking, the solid white areas are just ideas of placement for the legs of the dead person and the spirit that the cat is stealing. I'm happy with the more solid black cat and this thinner outline/outer glow but I think it still needs a lot of work to tie it all together nicely.

2 comments:

moombaduo- Andy Wong said...

Good stuff kate:D The revised version works well in the way it empahsises the dark nature of cait sith stealing souls.
The glow of the cat and the menacing eyes work against the darker background, plus the idea of the soul floating out the man is a nce one too which gives it a bit more narrative compared to the previous.

perhaps you could scan in bits of brown paper and place them on a layer beneath the cat and the man?

Deux Anges said...

Like it!

I reminds me of the stuff by Mike Mignola, the creator of Hellboy (the original comic, not the mediocre film). The comic has a lot of mythological references which I think work rather well with his distinctive style.